Ethics of TransplantationEmma Massey and David Rodríguez-Arias: February 2018
Ethics of Transplantation General
0 CME Credits
- Ethics in transplantation E-Book
- On patients who purchase organs abroad
- Estimating the risks of acquiring a kidney abroad: A meta-analysis of complications following participation in transplant tourism.
- Commercialization of kidney transplants: A systematic review of outcomes in recipients and donors.
- Interviews With Patients Who Traveled From Macedonia/Kosovo, The Netherlands, and Sweden for Paid Kidney Transplantations.
- Reporting organ trafficking networks: a survey-based plea to breach the secrecy oath.
- The AMA Code of Medical Ethics' Opinions on Confidentiality of Patient Information
- Trafficking in human beings for the purpose of organ removal: stimulating and enhancing partnerships between transplant professionals and law enforcement.
- Trafficking in human beings for the purpose of organ removal and the ethical and legal obligations of healthcare providers.
- Organ trafficking and transplant tourism: the role of global professional ethical standards—the 2008 Declaration of Istanbul.
- Policy statement of Canadian society of transplantation and Canadian Society of Nephrology on Organ Trafficking and Transplant Tourism.
- Indicators to Identify Trafficking in Human Beings for the Purpose of Organ Removal.
- Childress, J. F. (2014). "Difficulties of Determining Death: What Should We Do About the 'Dead Donor Rule'?"
- International perspective on the diagnosis of death
- Philosophical Debates About the Definition of Death: Who Cares?
- The Brain and Somatic Integration: Insights Into the Standard Biological Rationale for Equating ``Brain Death'' With Death
- The Dead-Donor Rule and the Future of Organ Donation
- Increasing Donation Opportunities for Vascularized Composite Allografts
- A Lifesaving View of Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation
- Hand Transplantation Versus Hand Prosthetics: Pros and Cons.
- Gender-Mismatch in VCA/Organ Transplant
- Looking the World in the Face
- Womb transplants with live births: an update and the future
- A Preliminary Report of Penile Transplantation
- 3D bioprinting of tissues and organs.
- Bioprinting of a functional vascularized mouse thyroid gland construct
- AMA Journal of Ethics® Illuminating the art of medicine
- The Ethics of Organ Transplantation: A Brief History
- The Consequences of Vagueness in Consent to Organ Donation
- Donation after circulatory determination of death: What information to whom?
- Ethical guidelines for the evaluation of living organ donors
- The ELPAT living organ donor Psychosocial Assessment Tool (EPAT): from ‘what’ to ‘how’ of psychosocial screening – a pilot study
- Nephrologists' Perspectives on Recipient Eligibility and Access to Living Kidney Donor Transplantation.
- Between Scylla and Charybdis: charting an ethical course for research into financial incentives for living kidney donation.
- Living and Deceased Organ Donation Should Be Financially Neutral Acts
- Living-Donor Kidney Transplantation: Reducing Financial Barriers to Live Kidney Donation--Recommendations from a Consensus Conference.
- Death and organ donation: meeting the needs of multiethnic and multifaith populations.
- Achieving equality in organ donation and transplantation in the UK: challenges and solutions
- Attitudes to deceased organ donation and registration as a donor among minority ethnic groups in North America and the UK: a synthesis of quantitative and qualitative research
- Print Me an Organ? Ethical and Regulatory Issues Emerging from 3D Bioprinting in Medicine.
- 3D bioprint me: a socioethical view of bioprinting human organs and tissues.
- Challenges to research and innovation to optimize deceased donor organ quality and quantity.
- Deceased Donor Intervention Research: A Survey of Transplant Surgeons, Organ Procurement Professionals, and Institutional Review Board Members.
Ethics of Transplantation Module 1
3 CME Credits
Foundation of Transplantation Ethics (James F. Childress)
- Principles 2
- Living organ donation
- Organ allocation
Death determination and the dead donor rule (DAVID RODRIGUEZ-ARIAS)
- Organ donation in the history of death determination
- Death determination in brain-dead donors
- Death determination in circulatory-dead donors
- End-of-life, organ procurement, and the Dead Donor Rule
Informed consent to donation after death (DAVID SHAW)
- Informed consent to donation after death 1/3
- Informed consent to donation after death 2/3
- Informed consent to donation after death 3/3
Ethical considerations in allocation of deceased donor organs (UNDINE SAMUEL)
- Ethical principles in organ allocation
- Background of Eurotransplant
- General introduction into allocation strategies
- Waiting list
- Development of deceased donors
- Guiding principles in allocation
- Overview of transplantations
Living donor psychosocial assessment and selection (FABIENNE DOBBELS)
- Why should you perform psychosocial screening in living donor candidates?
- What should you screen for?
- How to perform this in clinical practice: the EPAT Tool?
Ethics of Transplantation Module 2
2 CME Credits
Ethical aspects of research in deceased donation (Rutger J Ploeg)
- Ethical aspects of research in deceased donation
Inequities in access to living donor kidney transplantation (Allison Tong)
- Barriers and disparities in LKD
- Patient, donor and clinician perspectives
- Improving access: Removing financial disincentives, education, transplant liaison or navigator
Paying for Organs (Willem Weimar)
- Why we need more donor kidneys
- Ethical issues and justification of living kidney donation
- The economics of kidney transplantation
- Paid kidney donation
The rights and duties of transplant professionals in organ trade (Frederike Ambagtsheer)
- The difference between organ trade and organ trafficking
- Transplant professionals and organ trade
- When does a kidney transplant abroad become illegal?
- Pre- and post transplant recommendations
- Take home messages and further reading
Religious codes of ethics and organ donation and transplantation (Gurch Randhawa)
- Diverse populations and impact upon demand for organs
- Diverse populations – organ donor/recipient disparity
- Engagement of Faith Communities
- Organ donation in multi-ethnic and multi-faith communities – the potential way forward?
Ethics of Transplantation Module 3
Ethical analysis of contraindications for transplantation (Greg Moorlock)
- Why is this important and what are ethically contentious contraindications?
- How can we make good use of available organs?
- Should alcoholics receive liver grafts?
- Should obese patients receive transplants?
- The ethics of using lower quality organs
Ethical Considerations in New and Emerging Forms of Transplantation (Katrina Bramstedt)
- Ethical dilemmas in VCA - Part 1
- Ethical dilemmas in VCA - Part 2
- 3D bioprinting of organs
- How to analyze & solve ethical dilemmas