Islet Transplantation General
0 CME Credits
- Islet Transplantation E-book
- National Institutes of Health–Sponsored Clinical Islet Transplantation Consortium Phase 3 Trial: Manufacture of a Complex Cellular Product at Eight Processing Facilities
- 25 years of the ricordi automated method for islet isolation
- GMP Facilities for Clinical Cell Therapy Product Manufacturing: A Brief Review of Requirements and Design Considerations
- Computational flow cytometry
- Collaborative Islet Transplant Registery
- Evidence-informed clinical practice recommendations for treatment of type 1 diabetes complicated by problematic hypoglycemia
- Islet cell transplants for Type 1 diabetes
- Severe hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes mellitus: underlying drivers and potential strategies for successful prevention.
- Who Should Be Considered for Islet Transplantation Alone?
- Outcomes after simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation and the discriminative ability of the C-peptide measurement pretransplant among type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Glucose homeostasis after sim ultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation: a comparison of subjects with C-peptide-positive non-type 1 diabetes mellitus and type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplants in type I and type II diabetic patients with end- stage renal disease: similar 10-year outcomes.
- Simultaneous pancreas kidney transplants in diabetic pati ents with end-stage renal disease: the 20-yr experience.
- Combined pancreas-kidney transplantation for patients with end-stage nephropathy caused by type-2 diabetes mellitus.
- Successful long-term kidney-pancreas transplants in diabetic patients with high C-peptide levels.
- Long-term Metabolic Outcomes of Functioning Pancreas Transplants in Type 2 Diabetic Recipients.
- Do pretransplant C-peptide levels influence outcomes in simultaneous kidney-pancreas transplantation?
- Pancreas transplantation in C-peptide positive pa tients: does "type" of diabetes really matter?
- Outcomes of simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation in type 2 diabetic recipients.
- Simultaneous pancreas kidney transplant versus other kidney transplant options in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Simultaneous Pancreas and Kidney Transplantation-Is It a Treatment Option for Patients With Type 2 Di abetes Mellitus?
- Annual Data Report: Pancreas.
- Is there a role for pancreas transplantation in type 2 diabetes mellitus?
- Pancreas transplantation for type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Type 2 diabetes: the best transplant option is still uncertain.
- Type 2 diabetes: is pancreas transplantation an option?
- Pancreas transplantation in type II diabetes mellitus.
- Combined pancreas and kidney transplantation in a lean type 2 diabetic patient.
- Maturity-onset diabetes of the young with end-stage nephropathy: a new indication for simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation?
- Successful simultaneous pancreas kidney transplantation in maturity-onset diabetes of the young type 5.
- Maturity onset diabetes of the young: clinical characteristics and outcome after kidney and pancreas transplantation in MODY3 an d RCAD patients: a single center experience.
- ractical Classification Guidelines for Diabetes in patients treated with insulin: a cross-sectional study of the accuracy of diabetes diagnosis.
- The accelerator hypothesis: weight gain as the missing link between Type I and Type II diabetes.
- The accelerator hypothesis: a review of the evidence for insulin resistance as the basis for type I as well as type II diabetes.
- A Review of Safety and Design Requirements of the Artificial Pancreas
- Closed-loop for type 1 diabetes / an introduction and appraisal for the generalist
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery during Pregnancy in Women with Type 1 Diabetes
- Coming of age: the artificial pancreas for type 1 diabetes
- Day and night glycaemic control with a bionic pancreas versus conventional insulin pump therapy in preadolescent children with type 1 diabetes: a randomised crossover trial
- Feasibility of Long-Term Closed-Loop Control: A Multicenter 6-Month Trial of 24/7 Automated Insulin Delivery
- Future of Automated Insulin Delivery Systems
- Home Use of an Artificial Beta Cell in Type 1 Diabetes
- MD-Logic Overnight Control for 6 Weeks of Home Use in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: Randomized Crossover Trial
- Outpatient Glycemic Control with a Bionic Pancreas in Type 1 Diabetes
- Phase 3 Trial of Transplantation of Human Islets in Type 1 Diabetes Complicated by Severe Hypoglycemia.
- Efficient differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to definitive endoderm.
- A scalable system for production of functional pancreatic progenitors from human embryonic stem cells.
- Reversal of diabetes with insulin-producing cells derived in vitro from human pluripotent stem cells.
- Generation of functional human pancreatic β cells in vitro.
- Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors.
- Generation of stem cell-derived β-cells from patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Cells derived from iPSC can be immunogenic - yes or no?
- Immunogenicity of induced pluripotent stem cells
- Lack of immune response to differentiated cells derived from syngeneic induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Advances in islet encapsulation technologies
- Toward beta cell replacement for diabetes.
- Maturation and function of human embryonic stem cell-derived pancreatic progenitors in macroencapsulation devices following transplant into mice.
- Pancreatic Tissue Transplanted in TheraCyte Encapsulation Devices Is Protected and Prevents Hyperglycemia in a Mouse Model of Immune-Mediated Diabetes.
- Autologous Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived β-Like Cells for Diabetes Cellular Therapy.
Islet Transplantation Module 1
3 CME Credits
Why do we need beta cell replacement when there is insulin? (Lorenzo Piemonte)
- Understanding glucose levels in healthy subjects
- Efficacy of insulin treatment in Type 1 diabetes patients
- Advantages of beta cell replacement over insulin treatment
The Islet Isolation Laboratory (Hanne Scholz)
- The infrastructure and regulatory requirements
- What is required for the islet isolation lab?
- The set up of the islet lab
- The quality managment of the islet product
- Challenges and summary of the islet isolation lab
Recipient selection for pancreas or islet transplantation alone (Pratik Choudhary)
- Identifying patients with problematic hypoglycaemia
- What is the pathway for someone with problematic hypoglycemia?
- Indications for pancreas or islet transplantation
Recipient selection: pancreas transplantation or islet grafting in uremic patients? (Olivier Thaunat)
- Diabetes-induced vascualar complications: impact of uremia
- Beta cell replacement in uremic T1D patient
- Indications for islet grafting in uremic T1D patient
Recipient selection for pancreas or islet transplantation (Thierry Berney)
- Current status of pancreas vs islet transplantation
- Preferred indications
- Risk/benefit assessment: how are the goals achieved?
- Risk/benefit assessment: the risks
- Summary and decision algorithm
Evolving approaches to organ allocation for whole pancreas versus islet transplantation (James Shaw)
- Factors to consider for a fair and effective organ allocation scheme
- Predictors of pancreas transplant outcome
- Predictors of islet transplant outcome
- Predictors of islet isolation and transplant outcame
- Evolution of pancreas and islet transplantation in the UK
- The UK allocation scheme: design and outcomes
Islet Transplantation Module 2
2 CME Credits
Islet transplantation procedure and complications. Radiological approach (Francesco De Cobelli)
- How to perform a Percutanous Transplantation of human pancreatic islet cells
- How to recognize and to prevent the main complications
Immunosuppresive regimens in pancreas and islet transplantation (Olivier Thaunat)
- Pathophysiology and treatment of pancreas Tx rejection
- Maintenance immunosuppression in pancreas transplantation
- Immunosuppression in islet grafting
Outcome measures of immunologic mechanisms (Paolo Monti)
- Immune monitoring of auto reactive T cell responses
- The CFSE dilution assay
- Staining with HLA-peptide multimers
- High dimensional flow cytometry
Islet Auto-transplantation beyond chronic pancreatitis (Lorenzo Piemonti)
- Islet isolation and autotransplantation in human
- Extended indication for islet autotransplantation
- The Milan Protocol
Towards the artificial pancreas (Daniela Bruttomesso)
- Articial Pancreas: background and foundation
- Uni-hormonal artificial pancreas: clinical evidence
- The bi-hormonal articial pancreas
- Towards commercialisation
- User acceptance and possible improvements
Stem cells as a source of insulin producing cells (Valeria Sordi)
- Need for new sources
- Embryonic stem cells (ESC)
- Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC)
- Immunogenicity and safety
- Key take-away messages